English and Writing Major (40 credits)
BJ Best, Associate Professor of English and Writing (awbest AT carrollu DOT edu)
Timothy Galow, Associate Professor of English and Writing (tgalow AT carrollu DOT edu)
John Garrison, Associate Professor of English and Writing (jgarriso AT carrollu DOT edu)
Lara Karpenko, Associate Professor of English and Writing (lkarpenk AT carrollu DOT edu)
Deirdre Keenan, Department Chair and Professor of English and Writing (dkeenan AT carrollu DOT edu)
English and Writing Major
Bachelor of Arts (40 credits)
English and Writing Major Goals:
1) To provide students with a body of knowledge about literature and other forms of representation that will allow them to recognize the interrelationship among ideas and provide them with the skills to be lifelong learners.
2) To teach students the critical and creative reading, writing and thinking skills that enable them to develop a personal value system and that will inform their understanding of their impact on the world around them.
Learning Outcomes for English and Writing
Students graduating with a degree in English and Writing will be able to
1) Develop strategies for originating and answering questions about literature.
2) Use language specific to the discourses of poetry, drama, fiction and nonfiction.
3) Analyze and respond critically to texts using research and bibliographic materials appropriate to the discipline.
4) Demonstrate the ability to synthesize and organize ideas.
5) Demonstrate knowledge of a writing process that includes reading, research, drafting, editing, and revising, and be able to analyze that process in their own writing and the writing of others.
- Core Courses
- I. British and American Literature Survey: Students must complete the following three survey courses. (12 credits)
- II. Visual Literacy: students must complete one of the following courses:
- III. Diversity/World Literature: students must complete one of the following courses: (4 credits)
- IV. Professional English Requirement. Students must complete one of the following courses (4 credits):
- V. Creative English Requirement. Students must complete one of the following courses (4 credits):
- VI. Upper Division Literature requirement: students must complete two of the following courses (8 credits):
- VII. Senior capstone experience: English 499, advanced literature seminar. (4 credits)
- English majors are required to complete a Modern Language through 202
This Modern Language requirement is in addition to the minimal Bachelor of Arts language requirement.
- Students majoring in English and Writing or minoring in Creative Writing may not receive General Education(F1) credit for writing courses.
- Required Support Courses (Required for primary majors only)
Students seeking education certification must take the following courses;
- Bachelor of Arts Requirement
Bachelor of Arts Requirement
The requirements for a Bachelor of Arts are:
- Students must take 8 credits in a modern language (MLL) other than English, this does not include American Sign Language. Carroll University will accept a total of 8 transferred credits from another college/university as long as all 8 credits are completed in the same language.
- **International students who have English as their second language should contact the Registrar concerning the Modern Language requirement.
- MAT106 or higher
NOTE: EACH MAJOR MAY HAVE SPECIFIC COURSE SEQUENCING REQUIREMENTS.
FOR SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS, SEE "REQUIRED SUPPORT COURSES" WITHIN EACH MAJOR.
- The Pioneer Core Program