Dec 08, 2022  
2021-22 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-22 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Music Education Major

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Majors and Minors

Darrell Brown Director of Instrumental Music

Letícia Grützmann

Director of Choirs and Vocal Music, Assistant Professor of Music
Joel Matthys Assistant Professor of Music

The Music Program offers majors in music, music education and music therapy, as well as a minor in music.

The Bachelor of Music in Music Education prepares students for a career as a music educator and meets the requirements of the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction for K-12 teacher licensure. Music education students prepare to a high level within the discipline of music, including performance, theory and history for teaching careers of distinction and leadership. The central philosophy of the degree is that music teachers can be most effective only by first becoming accomplished musicians themselves, capable of performing, conducting and analyzing at a sophisticated level.

Students are required to choose either an instrumental or choral emphasis, or both. All students also complete the coursework for General Music licensure. Two half-hour recitals are required in successive years, usually during the junior and senior year.

There is no incoming freshman entrance audition at Carroll. We accept all students as provisional music majors for their first year of study. At the end of the first year, music majors audition for the faculty to be elevated to full music major status. At the end of the sophomore year, the music faculty meet with every student to discuss career goals and progress.

Students must meet all requirements of the secondary education major including the required core (except EDU 249  , EDU 290  , EDU 302  , EDU 360  ), all General Education courses required by the Education Department, and state licensing requirements of the Teacher Education Program (TEP).

Bachelor of Arts Requirements

The requirements for a Bachelor of Arts are:

  • Students must take 8 credits in the same modern language (MLL) other than English, this does not include American Sign Language. Carroll University will accept a total of 8 transferred credits from another college/university as long as all 8 credits are completed in the same language.
  • **International students who have English as their second language should contact the Registrar concerning the Modern Language requirement.
  • MAT 106   - Mathematics for the Liberal Arts 4 Hour(s) or higher
  • ENG 170   - Writing Seminar 4 Hour(s)
  • Degree requirements cannot be waived.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Majors and Minors