Jan 31, 2023  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog 
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Affairs

For more information regarding Student Affairs, click here

Counseling Services

Personal confidential counseling is available to all full-time students at the Walter Young Center on the Carroll campus. Experienced, master’s level therapists assist students with concerns regarding family, relationships, self-esteem, academic difficulties and other issues. The counseling center offers solution focused short term counseling. Students needing long-term treatment may be referred to a community resource. For more information click here.

Disability Policy for Students

Carroll University is committed to making otherwise qualified students with disabilities full participants in its programs, courses, services and activities. We are guided by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. Individuals will receive reasonable accommodations according to their needs and the documentation of their disability.

Accommodation Request Process

Accommodation requests should be made through the Walter Young Center. In order to be eligible for reasonable accommodation(s) from the University, the student must provide recent, relevant and comprehensive documentation of the disability, and the disability’s impact on the student’s participation in a course, program or activity. Should documentation from the student be inadequate or incomplete, the University reserves the right to require additional documentation. The cost of providing additional documentation will be borne by the student. However, if documentation is complete, but the University seeks a second professional opinion, the University will pay for the cost of that second opinion. The University also reserves the right to deny accommodation until necessary documentation is received. Accommodation requests will be approved or disapproved by the Disabilities Services Office at the Walter Young Center following a Reasonable Accommodation Conference. Any accommodation decision may be appealed in writing to the Vice President of Student Affairs within five (5) days of the decision. Any request for additional or modified accommodations must be made in writing to the Disabilities Services Office.


At Carroll University, diversity is a critical part of the campus culture. International and multicultural students, faculty, and staff are a vital component of the campus’ richness. The university’s goal is to create an environment that is open and welcoming for all people.

Carroll University is committed to supporting a diverse student body by providing comprehensive student support services and programs that allow students to explore diversity on campus, in the surrounding communities, and across the globe.

The Office of Cultural Diversity offers services and programs that support diversity such as cultural programming and activities, ally and mentor programs, diversity training, classroom presentations and more. These programs and services directly benefit the Carroll student body, faculty, and staff, as well as the Waukesha community. In turn, they provide the whole community with opportunities to gain a greater appreciation for the diversity represented on and off campus.

Student Health Center

The Carroll University Student Health Center is staffed by board certified nurse practitioners who treat students for a variety of minor illnesses and injuries. The nurse practitioners can prescribe medications if needed, and stock some medications in the Student Health Center. The nurse practitioners can also perform well physicals, pap smears, tuberculosis (TB) and skin tests, administer vaccines, perform drug screens, order blood tests and complete travel forms. There are charges to see the nurse practitioners, receive medications, have lab tests, vaccines, etc. All charges are billed to the student account or can be paid using Carroll Cash, unless the student has enrolled in the student insurance plan offered through the University. Students enrolled under a parent’s insurance plan can request a receipt that can be submitted to their insurance to request reimbursement. Students needing further treatment are referred to local clinics, Waukesha Memorial Hospital, or their primary M.D. and are responsible for any associated costs.

Intercollegiate Athletics

In the fall of 2016, Carroll University rejoined the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin. The Pioneers were previously members of the CCIW from 1955 through the spring of 1992. Current CCIW members include Augustana College, Carthage College, Elmhurst College, Illinois Wesleyan University, Millikin University, North Central College, North Park University and Wheaton College.

Carroll offers 22 intercollegiate athletic programs, including baseball, basketball (men and women), cross country (men and women), football, golf (men and women), indoor track and field (men and women), lacrosse (men and women), outdoor track and field (men and women), soccer (men and women), softball, swimming and diving (men and women), tennis (men and women) and volleyball.

In order to participate in intercollegiate athletics, student-athletes are required to maintain good academic and social standings, as defined in the student handbook. Academic minimums are set forth by the CCIW and the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Residence Life and Housing

Living on campus is an important part of the University educational experience. Campus housing is staffed with live in professionals and student resident assistants trained to engage students in the community and to act as resources.

Housing Policies

  1. All full time undergraduate students who enroll at Carroll are subject to a junior residency requirement. This requirement remains in effect until a student has achieved senior standing (92 credits) by the beginning of the academic year. Exceptions to this policy include those students who are married or in a partnership legally recognized by a state, 23 years of age or older, are the primary caregiver to a child and those students who are living within fifty (50) miles from campus with parents or legal guardians during the academic year for which they are enrolled.
  2. Each year, full time undergraduate students who wish to live off-campus must submit an application requesting to be released from the residency requirement and must receive approval from the Office of Residence Life and Housing. If the application is denied, the student will be subject to the residency requirement and will need to complete the appropriate application and license agreement for campus housing.
  3. Students who have not been approved for release from the requirement and/or fail to submit an application and license agreement for campus housing will be charged for a standard double room and 140 Block meal plan until the terms of the residency requirement have been satisfied.

Living Options

Carroll University offers many on campus housing options including apartments and both traditional and suite style housing facilities to suit the needs of residential students. All campus housing includes basic cable TV service, high speed internet access, basic room furniture, mail delivery, and free on site laundry facilities.

Dining Services

Welcome to the campus dining program at Carroll University. All meal plans feature:

  • A guaranteed block of meals for the semester - you decide how many!
  • The flexibility to use your meal plan at all dining locations in the Campus Center and at Au Bon Pain during regularly scheduled and posted transfer hours.
  • Dining Dollars that can be used anytime and anywhere, including Stone Creek Coffee, Au Bon Pain and the Campus Center.

The campus dining program offers students a multitude of options and maximum flexibility. Simply choose the plan that best fits your schedule and dining habits. We hope you’ll agree that there is something for every appetite!

Meal Plan Policies

  1. All Carroll University students who are subject to the residency requirement are also required to select a Resident Meal Plan (Plans C, E, G or H). Students that have achieved junior standing (60 credits) by the beginning of the academic year and live in Frontier, Pioneer or Prairie halls may also select a Grand Avenue Meal Plan (Plans T, U, V or W). Only students living in the Carroll Street, College Avenue and Hartwell Avenue Apartments are exempt from this policy.
  2. Students may increase their meal plan at any time. The deadline to decrease or cancel a meal plan is one business day prior to the first day of classes each semester as published in the Carroll University catalog and academic calendar.
  3. Students who select a meal plan for the fall semester will automatically be billed for the same plan for the spring semester, unless they make a change prior to the deadline.
  4. Block meal plans offer a guaranteed number of meals per semester and may be used for guest meals. All meal plans include Dining Dollars and allow meal transfers during posted hours.
  5. Each semester is 15 weeks in length and 18 meals will be served each week in the Main Dining Room.
  6. Unused meals are not transferable from fall to spring semester. Fall semester meals may be used during Winter Session and spring semester meals may be used during Summer Session 1. Unused Dining Dollars will be transferred from fall to spring semester. Dining Dollars must be used by the end of Summer Session 1. Unused meal plans and Dining Dollars are not refundable.
  7. Only currently enrolled Carroll University students may participate in a meal plan. Students who withdraw or leave the University are no longer eligible to use their selected meal plan and will be held responsible for outstanding charges as published in the University catalog.

Spiritual Life Program

The Office of Spiritual Life cultivates student’s spiritual, interpersonal and vocational development by helping them connect to sources of meaning in their lives. Carroll University supports students from a breadth of faith traditions through weekly programming and periodic special events. The University Chaplain is also available for pastoral counseling and spiritual direction. Student organizations, such as Intervarsity Christian Fellowship and Habitat for Humanity, provide additional opportunities for spiritual engagement and volunteer work, and Carroll connects students to local worshiping communities and faith-based organizations, such as Hillel Milwaukee. Students may reserve either of our two campus chapels for group gatherings or use them for private spiritual practice. An additional prayer room in the campus center is free from religious symbols and accessible to students from any faith tradition for private prayer.

Carroll University has historic ties to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and continues to nurture that heritage through the Office of Spiritual Life.

Student Activities

The Office of Student Activities enhances life on campus by providing students with social opportunities and numerous ways to get involved both on campus and in the community. There are many opportunities to get involved, including Student Senate, Fraternity and Sorority Life, Recreational Sports, or working for the Orientation, Student Activities or RecSports staffs. Student Activities provides programs and services ranging from orientation to community service projects, outdoor gear rentals to the weekend programming series (CU @ Night), and much more.

Recreational Sports

Carroll University is an Institutional Member of the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA-Leaders in Collegiate Recreation). The Department of Recreational Sports includes: Competitive Sports- including Intramural and Club Sports, Group Fitness, outdoor recreation equipment, RecSports Special Events, as well as the Cheer and Dance Teams. Ganfield Gymnasium has a multi-purpose court, a Dance Studio, a bouldering wall, and is home to indoor and outdoor equipment available for check-out. The RecSports Fitness Center in Prairie Hall hosts cardio equipment, selectorized weight equipment, plate-loaded and free weight areas. The Carroll YMCA is a fitness center available 24/7/365 via Carroll ID card swipe. Intramural Sports leagues include: men’s and women’s basketball, flag football, indoor soccer, dodgeball, and volleyball. Several tournaments in a variety of sports are also offered each semester. The Department of Recreational Sports also manages the Bike Shop and Carroll Outdoor Recreation Equipment (CORE) where students, faculty, and staff can rent camping equipment bikes, snowshoes, cross country skis, and more for nominal fees.

Student Organizations & Fraternity & Sorority Life

Only part of the Carroll University experience happens in the classroom. Getting involved in one of our 60 student organizations helps you develop leadership skills, explore new opportunities, connect with like-minded students, and make a difference on campus and in the community. From cultural and diversity to media and arts there is a student org that is waiting for you to join. Check out our student organizations and fraternity and sorority life here.


Looking for something to do? Student Activities is the one stop-shop for fun, engaging, and inclusive programs. Think of Carroll’s Got Talent, a Kalahari day trip, and of course BINGO! Get connected and join the Carroll community by attending Daytime Programs, CU@Night Weekend Programming, Big Programs, and Travel Series events here.

Volunteer Center

Carroll’s Volunteer Center is dedicated to connecting Carroll to the larger community through service and volunteering by working with existing service learning programs at Carroll and creating new partnerships for Carroll within the surrounding communities. Students can participate in one-time volunteer events or ongoing weekly volunteer placements at sites throughout the area.

Student Handbook

The specific rules and regulations of Carroll University, published in the current Carroll Student Handbook and available to all students on the University’s Web site, inform students of their responsibilities as well as their rights. The additional expectations associated with enrollment in specific academic programs are published separately.

To view the Student Handbook, click here.

Military and Veteran Student Services Program

Nancy Ferguson VA Certifying Official
Kristin Schneider VA Certifying Official

The purpose of the Carroll University Military and Veteran Student Services Program, operated through the Office of Student Affairs, is to provide a holistic approach to support services for current and former service members as they pursue their academic, career, and personal goals at Carroll University.

Education Benefits

Veterans eligible for education benefits should apply with the appropriate agency prior to registering for classes. After applying for benefits, veterans should contact the institution’s Veterans Certifying Official to notify them of their intent to collect benefits. Federal benefits paid under chapters 30, 35, 1606, or 1607 will be paid directly to the student. Recipients of such payments are advised to anticipate a delay of about two months before receiving the first payment. Students receiving benefits under these chapters should be prepared to pay all expenses since payments are made directly to the veteran. Chapter 33 (Post 9-11 GI Bill®) and the Yellow Ribbon Benefits will be paid directly to the higher education institution.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill

Refund policy

Refund policy for military reservists called to active duty: The University recognizes the sacrifices that those in the armed services make while serving our country. We are proud to have these individuals as a part of our campus community and therefore maintain the following policy:

  • The student must provide the Registrar’s Office copies of official military orders. The student will then be automatically withdrawn from all of his/her courses for the given semester. The academic record will reflect the non-punitive “W.”
  • The student will be eligible for a full refund for tuition and course fees for any courses that are not completed during that semester/session.
  • Any room and board charges will be prorated based on the date in the semester the student is required to leave and the remaining amount will be refunded.

All students adding or dropping a course must do so in writing through the Registrar’s Office. Refunds are based on the date of the postmark of withdrawals sent by mail or on date of delivery of those brought in personally to the Registrar’s office. If a student drops from a credit class to an audit, the refund will be based on the credit course fee according to the refund policy. If a class is cancelled due to lack of enrollment, students registered for that class will be given a full refund.

Cross Cultural Experience

A significant experience in another culture may count as the immersion portion of Carroll’s Cross-Cultural Experience (CCE). For veterans, military service abroad may qualify as the immersive portion of the CCE requirement. Veterans who have not served abroad will still need to meet their CCE requirement.