Mar 02, 2024  
2021-22 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-22 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic and Program Policies

Academic Appeals

The Academic Steering Committee (ASC) acts as the appeal body for questions related to academic policy, probationary questions, exemptions, etc. An academic petition form (available online or from the Registrar’s Office) must be completed and returned to the Registrar’s Office to initiate the appeal process. The petition form should carefully explain the nature of the request and include the appropriate signatures. All appeal decisions by the Academic Steering Committee are final.

Course grade appeals and appeals of sanctions for academic dishonesty are heard by the Student/Faculty Ethics Committee. Appeals should be made through the Office of the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. The procedure for appeals is found in the Student Handbook.

Academic Honesty

Cheating on examinations, plagiarism, improper acknowledgment of proper sources in written material, and inaccurate claims of work done are serious offenses in an academic setting. These forms of unethical behavior will be subject to severe disciplinary action.

The Carroll University Policies and Procedures on Student Academic Integrity can be found in the Student Handbook (available on the University’s Web site) under the section entitled Academic Policies and Procedures. Instructors indicate penalties for academic dishonesty in their course syllabi.

Additional Undergraduate Degree

With the recommendation of the college dean, a student already holding a baccalaureate degree from Carroll University or another institution may, under certain conditions, qualify for and be awarded an additional baccalaureate degree. Those conditions are as follows:

At least 32 credits beyond those used to achieve the initial degree must be undertaken and successfully completed at Carroll.
All of the university general education requirements in effect at the time of the enrollment for a second undergraduate degree must be met, either through transfer or in subsequent study at Carroll.
All of the program requirements for an additional major field of study must be met either through transfer or in subsequent study at Carroll.

Classification of Students

Class Standing Credits Completed
Sophomore Standing 28
Junior Standing 60
Senior Standing 92

Classroom Usage Policy


In order to keep our classrooms clean and in order for all classes, faculty are responsible for the following:

  • Wiping the whiteboards and logging out of the computer.
  • All furniture, desks, chairs and/or tables need to be placed back into the basic classroom set up if moved during class.

This ensures that faculty and students can begin the next class with the same basic set up and clean white boards.


We want to be able to have classrooms unlocked for student use for studying and group activities. In order to ensure that we are able to give students this opportunity students must adhere to the following:

  • All students are required to put the classroom back to its original classroom set up.
  • Ensure that all chairs/desks/tables are in the original classroom that they belong in.
  • All writing must be erased from the whiteboards.

Early Registration Policy


True to its mission, Carroll University faculty and staff are committed to delivering a superior education to each and every student.  The foundation of this education is high quality classroom instruction, whether that classroom be in-person or online.  Owing to this, it is imperative that all students attend the courses to which they are registered.  In addition, our students seek to expand and enhance their education through participation in our honors program, music and theatre, and athletics.  We support all of our students in their co-curricular endeavors.

Per this policy, honors students, student-athletes, and those participating in music and/or theatre productions are granted access to early registration for the following term’s courses (typically one day prior to the commencement of registration for the general student population).  This helps to ensure that these students will participate fully in the classroom experience while minimizing absences owing to participation in university sponsored events. 

Honors students will be the first to register.  They will be granted early access to the registration system from 9:00 am -12:00 pm on the day immediately prior to general student registration.  Those students participating in athletics, music productions, and/or theater productions will be granted early access to the registration system from 12:00 pm-5:00 pm on the day immediately prior to general student registration.


Registration for the following courses will be limited to those students who have a minimum of 40 earned credits (ie 40 credits earned prior to the current term).  Early registration is available to those students named above if they have 40 credits earned:

CMP 112 and 114

RELI 220

PHIL 106, 194, and 206

ENG 199

(The above courses are those that often fill immediately during upper class student registration.  There a variety of reasons for this, however, as a result many students push these courses to later in their academic plans.  We need to ensure that these students have access to the above courses in order to complete their academic plans, thus the exceptions). 

University Sponsored Event Student Absence Policy


Carroll University is committed to making opportunities available for students to engage in a full range of curricular and co-curricular experiences that constitute a Carroll education.  Certain co-curricular events including, but not limited to, are:  intercollegiate athletic competition, performing arts events, associated media opportunities and academic/co-curricular conferences and competitions.  These are considered University Sponsored events. 

Per this policy, students may not be penalized for missing class in order to participate in university sponsored events, provided the student shared, with the course instructor, a copy of their University Sponsored Event Student Absence Form.  Students are responsible for notifying their instructors in advance of their participation in such events with exception made for events rescheduled due to weather or other unforeseen events.  Students must understand that missing multiple classes can negatively impact their academic performance.  For absences owing to religious observances, please refer to the policy on religious accommodations.


It is the Carroll University students’ responsibility to communicate with instructors any circumstances that conflict with class attendance.  The student is expected to manage class absences using the following guidelines, which apply equally to all courses:

  1. All students are expected to be in class unless otherwise excused for a University Sponsored Event.
  2. A University Sponsored Event Student Absence Form, indicating the planned dates and times a student will miss class, will be given to the student by the event sponsor so that they may present two copies to each instructor (One signed form for both the student and the instructor). Each student will share these forms during the first two weeks of the semester or as soon as they are made aware of their participation.  Students will give their instructor one copy to keep and a second copy must be signed by the instructor and then returned to the university sponsor.
  3. Student-athletes will not miss classes for practice except when a team is traveling to an away-from-home contest and the practice is in conjunction with the contest.  Activities considered practice include:
    1. On-field/court practice
    2. Preparation and conditioning times (e.g. weight training, running, etc.)
    3. Rehabilitation, taping, etc. (time spend in athletic training room)
    4. Meetings (including individual or group film sessions)
  4. Performing Arts students will not miss class for rehearsals, with exceptions for the following:
    1. Tech Week and Dress Rehearsals - these are mandatory
    2. University media opportunities
    3. Specific rehearsal session for off-campus performances or tours
  5. Post-season competitions (e.g. CCIW, NCAA tournaments) that are not predetermined that conflict with student classes or labs will be excused with proper notification from student.     
  6. University sponsors (i.e. coaches/directors) will not penalize students for missing practices due to conflicts with regularly scheduled classes for which students are enrolled.
  7. Students are responsible for submitting all assignments on time.  In addition, students are responsible for making arrangements, in advance, for any test, quizzes, and labs to be missed.  Should a student fail to notify, in advance, the faculty of a planned university sponsored absence, normal grading/absence policies for the course will be followed.
  8. For absences resulting from re-scheduled events (typically caused by inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances), students will communicate with their instructors as soon as possible.  University sponsors will make a best effort to provide a REVISED University Sponsored Event Student Absence Form in such circumstances.
  9. For all other academic or co-curricular events please contact the Provost for approval of University sponsored event designation.


Medical or Personal Leave

If a student must be absent from a health sciences program for an extended period of time for medical or personal reasons or jury duty, written notice must be given to the respective program director prior to the leave, if possible. Written notice must also be given to the program’s director prior to the student’s return to the program. If applicable, the student may be asked to verify that s/he has complied with the program’s technical standards with previously imposed conditions for leave. In addition, remediation or course repetition may be required of the student dependent on the length of the absence. Any course, laboratory, outside learning experience, or clinical practicum/internship makeup or remediation is dependent upon academic and clinical faculty and facility availability.

Policy on Reapplication to a Health Sciences Program

The policy on reapplication defines the process by which students may seek readmission to the program following a withdrawal or dismissal of the student from the program for failing to maintain good academic standing. Readmission candidates may apply for readmission to the program no sooner than one semester after leaving the program and no later than two years from the date of the withdrawal or dismissal. Readmission candidates may exercise their reapplication option only once. Readmission candidates applying to the program must submit the materials required and shall be considered with all new applicants for admission. In addition, they must provide transcripts relating to any education experiences completed since leaving the program. A letter indicating why the readmission candidate believes they will succeed academically and technically in the program must accompany the application materials. Upon review of the materials, the program’s admission selection committee may render the following decisions which are final: 1) Approval of the request for readmission to the beginning of the program; 2) Admission to the program with consideration (i.e. repeating specific courses, required ancillary learning activities, credit for prior work, etc.), and; 3) Denial of the request for readmission to the program.

Policy on Student Records

Several information sources are maintained concerning each student at Carroll University: the admission file, the permanent academic record, the student personnel file, the placement file, the alumni file, the publicity file, and the financial aid file for students applying for aid. A student may review the applicable files, except for material provided in confidence, with a professional staff member under the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) as amended.

FERPA1 gives certain rights to parents regarding their children’s educational records. These rights transfer to the student who has reached the age of 18 or is attending school beyond the high school level. Generally the school must have the student’s written permission to release any educational information to anyone, including the student’s parents. The law does allow for the following exceptions: school employees who have a need to know; other schools to which a student is transferring; certain government officials to carry out lawful functions; accrediting organizations; persons who need to know in cases of health and safety concerns.

Schools may disclose “directory information” or information published in the student directory unless the student signs a Right to Privacy form each time a student registers. Carroll University has adopted a policy that will only allow the disclosure of directory information if the party asking for the information can identify himself/herself in writing (this Carroll University policy is within FERPA regulations, which allow individual institutions to determine their own policies concerning directory information).

FERPA also grants the student the right to review those records, files, etc., that are maintained by the University. The student must make an appointment with the University Registrar to do so. Students may challenge any information they believe to be inaccurate. If the University official does not agree to modify the information, the student may file a written appeal and has a right to a hearing.

1 Furnished by the United States Department of Education, fact sheet.

Returning Students

After the lapse of one or more semesters, students seeking to return to Carroll on a full-time or part-time basis must reapply. Students who have been suspended from the University and have become eligible to apply for readmission must do so through the Office of Admission. The Admission Committee reviews each application and determines the current status of the student and the conditions of readmission. When a student is reaccepted into Carroll University, they will be required to follow the most recent catalog to determine graduation requirements.

Student’s Right to Know

Campus Security Act of 1990: Requires the disclosure of data on crimes committed on campus and campus safety policies and procedures. Click here for a copy of Carroll University’s annual security report.

Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act: Requires disclosure of data on participation rates and financing men’s and women’s sports in intercollegiate athletic programs at coeducational schools. It also requires data on revenues, total expenses and operating expenses of intercollegiate athletic programs. Data is available on request.

Graduation Rate: Current and prospective students have the right to request the institution’s graduation rates. These rates are available in the Office of Admission and online at:

Withdrawal Policy

Students who wish to withdraw from all classes must file an Official Withdrawal Form with the Office of Student Success. If a student is not able to visit the office (due to illness, emergency, etc.), they may contact the Office of Student Success to communicate their intent. The phone number is 262-524-7360.

Military Leave and Withdrawal

The University recognizes the sacrifices that those in the armed services make while serving our country. We are proud to have these individuals as a part of our campus community and therefore maintain the following policy:

  • The student must provide the Registrar’s Office copies of official military orders for a leave of absence. The student will then be automatically withdrawn from all of his/her courses for the given semester. The academic record will reflect the non-punitive “W.”
  • The student will be eligible for a full refund for tuition and course fees for any courses that are not completed during that semester/session.
  • Once the student’s military obligations are fulfilled, Carroll University will accommodate the student’s intentions of returning to the program they were in before their military leave.  The student will be responsible to follow all program and degree requirements in order to complete this program.
  • Any room and board charges will be prorated based on the date in the semester the student is required to leave and the remaining amount will be refunded.

Communication with Students

The university provides access to email and mailboxes for all students. These methods of communication are consistently used by the university in an effort to contact students. It is expected that residents will check these communications daily.

Independent Study

Independent study is offered by most programs and is subject to the same general university regulations that govern any course offering. Such courses are taken for academic credit (one to four credits) with the appropriate grading from an assigned instructor. The format of study may vary and is formulated in consultation with the assigned instructor. An independent study may be taken only with consent of the instructor and the college dean and must be arranged with the instructor before registering. In general, a student may count a maximum of four independent study credits toward graduation. An approved Permit for Independent Study form, available at the Registrar’s Office, and a syllabus must be presented at the time of registration.

Individually-Designed Major

A student interested in designing such a major will, in consultation with an adviser qualified and willing to assist, work out a program of study based primarily on regularly-taught courses at Carroll. The degree requirements of either the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science will be incorporated into this plan. The entire plan must be submitted to the Academic Steering Committee for review. It will reject any plan that creates staffing problems, violates the principle of the need for balance between concentration and breadth of study, or for any other reason is judged to be academically unsound. It will not impose a general rule about the number of courses in the major, except that no student will be permitted to take more than 40 credits within a program, except in professional programs. All proposals for individually-designed majors must be submitted to the Academic Steering Committee no later than one year prior to the intended date of graduation. A planning and approval form for the Individually Designed Major is available in the Registrar’s Office.

International and Domestic Off-Campus Study Opportunities

The Office of Global Education (OGE) provides Carroll students with opportunities to enhance the awareness of their own cultural conditioning, assumptions and perspectives by bringing them in contact with people who have backgrounds significantly different from their own. Two types of benefits result from such an experience:

  1. Students develop a more vivid consciousness of the kinds of social, political, economic and religious forces that have contributed to the formation of their own self-concepts, and to the structure of American society as a whole;
  2. students develop a growing understanding of other cultures and customs.

Most international and many domestic study abroad/away activities meet the Cross-Cultural (CCE) requirement of the Pioneer Core curriculum.

Carroll offers a variety of short-term study abroad options, with a worldwide geographic scope that spans all continents but Antarctica. Carroll’s NCEP (New Cultural Experiences Program) and CCS 300  courses are developed and taught by Carroll faculty. A description of approved NCEP and CCS 300  courses can be found on the CCE web page, click here.

Many semester and academic year study abroad opportunities exist for students who want longer, in-depth academic experiences in another country. Students in good academic standing who have earned 16 Carroll University credit hours at the time of participation may apply for enrollment in study abroad. Most students study abroad during their junior or senior year, although some students find that international study during their sophomore year is a better fit for their program of study. Students who are approved for study abroad must meet the requirements of their chosen program. Approved students will remain enrolled full time at Carroll University during the time they are abroad. Additional information about each of the options, including costs and the application is available on the Carroll University CCE Website.

Internships or Work-Oriented Experiences

Students are urged to participate in a work-oriented gateway experience to prepare for their work in the world. Most work-oriented experience will be related to the student’s major or minor field and generally will be taken during the senior year. Internships and work-oriented experiences are under the direct supervision of a member of the Carroll University faculty. Such courses are taken for academic credit with the appropriate grading (letter grades or S/U) from an assigned instructor. Each program will determine whether an internship or work-oriented experience will be offered. These courses are subject to the general regulations that govern any course offered, including registration within the time period allowed for an on-campus course. A student must have permission for an internship or work-oriented experience and present an approved Permit for Internship upon registration.


In order to be eligible for a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Music Education degree, a student must complete one major and earn a minimum 2.00 grade point average (Carroll and transfer credit) in all courses attempted for the major.1 Generally majors require no more than 64 credits within a program (exclusive of credit for internships).2 This regulation does not prevent a student from earning more than 64 credits, which would then permit the student to earn additional course credit in the major. The requirements for satisfying a specific major may be found under each program listing in the course descriptions section of this catalog. When a student has decided on a major field, he/she should consult with a faculty member in that program and make the necessary arrangements with the Registrar’s Office. A student who elects to complete a second major should have an adviser from that program also. Students declaring more than one major must declare one major as the primary major.3 This declaration must be specified when a student applies for graduation.

The primary major will determine which degree is earned (B.S., B.A., B.S.N., or B.M.E.). A course may count toward two majors as long as the majors are in different disciplines. If a student has more than one major, however, each major must have 32 credits unique to each major. The student also may select a minor. A student may also count the same course in the major toward a minor as long as the minor is in a different program. The major must have a minimum of 32 unique credits in the major, and the minor must have 16 unique credits. In programs that have multiple emphases, a student may declare only one emphasis. A transfer student is expected to complete in residence at Carroll at least one-fourth of the number of credits required for the stated major field(s) of study.


1. Some majors that must meet outside standards for accreditation may require a higher GPA.
2. Required supporting courses are included within the 64-credit limit. Majors within professional programs may exceed 64 credits.
3. Specific programs designate major support courses that are required for primary majors only.

Required supporting courses are included within the 64-credit limit. Majors within professional programs may exceed 64 credits


Students may also decide to select one or more minors from a broad range of fields. While a minor typically requires fewer credits than a major, it provides students with a coherent course of study in the field. Descriptions and course requirements are listed in the program sections. At least one-fourth of the total credits required must be taken at Carroll with a minimum of a 2.00 grade point average. A student may not select a major and minor in the same discipline. A course in the minor may also count toward another minor as long as each minor has 16 unique credits.

Method of Course Delivery

Carroll University offers several different methods of instruction. Please see the descriptions below.

Traditional and/or Enhanced

Course instructor and students meet at specified days, times, and location. All or nearly all instruction and course content are presented in the classroom. Some technology may be used for instruction and delivery of course content. This can include posting content (related to learning goals) to CANVAS, use of discussions, blogs or wikis (either through course management system or other), or using technology in the classroom (e.g., clickers).


Hybrid courses are noted in the catalog using the following section letters; HY, HX, HZ, etc.
Twenty-five percent (25%) to seventy-five percent (75%) of instruction takes place in an online environment. As noted, physical on-campus meeting time is generally one quarter to three quarters of a traditional course. For example, a course that typically meets 4 hours/week in a traditional course will meet for 2 hours/week in a 50% hybrid course.


Online courses are noted in the catalog using the following section letters; WW.

Instruction is delivered completely online, often through CANVAS.
Typically, there are no face-to-face meetings, though an introductory first meeting may occur at the beginning of the semester and/or for the purpose of proctoring exams.

Repeating Coursework Graded C, D or F at Carroll University

Any Carroll University credit earned with a C, D or F grade may be retaken at Carroll one time only for any given course. Both the C, D or F grade and the repeated grade will be recorded on the Carroll University transcript, but only the last grade awarded will be used in the appropriate grade point calculations. A student may not replace a Carroll University earned C, D or F with transfer credit. A student may not replace Carroll coursework graded higher than a C unless this provision is specifically allowed in program-specific policies.

Repeating Transfer Coursework Graded C, D or F

Any transfer credit with an earned C, D or F may be retaken for credit with a similar course at Carroll University or another accredited institution as approved by the Registrar. Upon matriculation at Carroll University, the student must obtain permission in advance from the Registrar to retake a transfer course graded C, D or F with a similar transfer course or with a Carroll University course. Both the C, D or F grade and the repeated grade will be recorded on the Carroll University transcript, but only the last grade awarded will be used in the appropriate grade point calculations. A student may not replace transfer coursework graded higher than a C unless this provision is specifically allowed in program-specific policies.

Satisfactory Grading Option for Juniors and Seniors

Juniors and seniors have the choice of taking any or all elective courses on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) basis. A student shall not be permitted to alter the decision after the first four weeks of the semester. No student may take any course to complete a general education requirement on an S/U basis. No student may take any course within the major or minor fields, including required supporting courses, on an S/U basis, with one exception: internships or work-oriented experiences may count toward the major or minor even if taken S/U. Students are advised that graduate or professional schools often give less consideration to applicants whose records show this grade option. Satisfactory/unsatisfactory grades will not be included in computing the grade point average.

Request S/U Grading

  • Email from your Carroll email account.
  • Information needed:
    • Student Name
    • Course Number and Section
    • Student Major
  • Registrar will confirm grading change through Carroll email account.

As a reminder, a grade of A, B, or C is considered satisfactory (S). A grade of D or F is considered unsatisfactory (U).


Students in enrolled in programs that are externally accredited, have program specific academic progression requirements, or are completing courses as a specific prerequisite for graduate programs are not able to take major, minor or prerequisite courses in the S/U format. Examples include, but are not limited to Athletic Training, Education, Exercise Physiology, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physician’s Assistant, Physical Therapy, and 2+2 professional programs. The Registrar’s Office will screen courses that can or cannot take a course for S/U grading based on your major and emphasis, however, programmatic changes or external requirement may vary. Please be sure to connect with your advisor and course instructor for more guidance.

Wait List Policy

Closed Classes and Wait List Policy

  1. You may now add yourself to a course waitlist through Enhanced Web Registration.
  2. If a course that you wish to register for is full:
    1. You will be given a warning that indicates: ‘There are no seats available in this section.’
    2. The warning will note how many students are currently on the waitlist for the section.
    3. You will have the opportunity to:
      1. Add yourself to the waitlist using the ‘Add to Waitlist’ button
      2. Cancel the action by clicking on the ‘Do not Add’ button
  3. If a seat opens in a section you waitlisted for and if you are the first person on the waitlist you will be given a course authorization to add the course and notified via your Carroll University email address. You will have 48 hours to register for the class once this email has been sent. If you do not register for the class within the 48 hour window you will lose your spot on the waitlist.
  4. To determine for which course(s) you have been granted authorization to register, access Enhanced Web Registration and check the ‘Waitlisted Courses’ section. The course(s) you have received authorization to add will now have a ‘Move to Current’ link listed to the left of the course(s).
  5. To add a course:
    1. Click on the ‘Move to Current’ link
    2. Click the ‘Change Waitlisted to Current’ button on the new page that opens up
  6. NOTE: You will not be allowed to waitlist for different sections of a class that you are already registered to take. If you wish to take a different section of a class you will need to speak with the instructor of the section you wish to enroll into and have them provide you course authorization to do so.

Degrees Offered

Abbreviation Name of Degree
ADN Associate Degree of Nursing
BA Bachelor of Arts
BS Bachelor of Science
BM Bachelor of Music
BSN Bachelor of Science in Nursing
DPT Doctor of Physical Therapy
MAT Master of Art in Teaching
MBA Master of Business Administration
MED Master of Education
MOT Master of Occupational Therapy
MS Master of Science
MSAT Master of Science in Athletic Training
MSN Master of Science in Nursing
MSPA Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies

Graduation Requirements

Awarding of Diplomas

Diplomas are awarded three times a year (May, August and December) to seniors who have completed all degree requirements. Commencement ceremonies are conducted in May each year.

Seniors who have all degree requirements completed but wish to defer graduation, and those with specific academic deficiencies, will be allowed to participate in Commencement as long as the deficiencies are within the following parameters:

  1. A need for one to four additional credits or completion of student teaching that is already in progress.
  2. A deficiency of eight or fewer academic grade points.
  3. Incomplete grades of from one to four credits.

Students may participate in only one Commencement. Notice of intent to participate in the May Commencement ceremony without the degree being awarded should be filed with the registrar’s office at the time the application for graduation is submitted or by April 15. All students who choose not to receive their degree and those with academic deficiencies will receive their diplomas at the next issuance following completion of all required work

Graduating with Latin Honors

Carroll University offers students the opportunity to graduate with honors. For more information regarding one of these honors or to view the criteria for each one, see below.

Phi Kappa Phi

Phi Kappa Phi: Carroll University invites students in the top 7.5% of the junior class and the top 10% of the senior class and graduate programs to join Phi Kappa Phi, the nation’s oldest, largest, and most selective all-discipline honor society. Phi Kappa Phi gives its members a lifelong connection to a global network of academic and professional activities, including opportunities to apply for national scholarships.

Delta Sigma Nu

Delta Sigma Nu is the university’s honorary scholastic society. Students in the upper 10 percent of the senior class who have completed by graduation 64 letter-graded credits at Carroll and a total of 100 letter-graded credits are elected to membership. The only exception is students on approved off-campus programs where letter grades are not given. Members of the junior class with an overall grade point average of 3.9 or higher who have completed 64 letter-graded credits at Carroll and have been enrolled at Carroll University for at least four semesters are elected to membership.

Graduation Latin Honors

Graduation honors based on the cumulative grade point average (GPA)* are awarded to those students who have completed all requirements for the degree: summa cum laude requires a GPA starting at 3.9 on a 4.0 scale; magna cum laude requires a GPA starting at 3.6; cum laude requires a GPA starting at 3.4. In order to be eligible for honors, a student must complete at Carroll, one-half of the hours (currently 64) required for graduation:

  1. The student must earn at least 64 credits from Carroll University with no more than 8 of those credits being graded Pass/Fail.
  2. Since a student with transfer work has a Carroll and an overall GPA, the lower of the two GPAs determines eligibility for honors and placement into one of the above three honors categories.

*The GPA is not rounded up.

Second degree graduation honors will be awarded to students who have completed all requirements for the degree. There must be a minimum of 32 letter-graded credits completed at Carroll University. The entire undergraduate record is considered and, if there is transfer work, the lower of the Carroll or overall grade point average (GPA)* determines eligibility for honors and placement into one of the three following categories: summa cum laude requires a GPA starting at 3.9 on a 4.0 scale; magna cum laude requires a GPA starting at 3.6; cum laude requires a GPA starting at 3.4.

Note: Graduating with honors, or as part of an honors society such as Phi Kappa Phi or Delta Sigma Nu, is distinct from the Honors Program. For information on the Honors Program, see the Honors Program  page.

General Graduation Requirements

  1. Students must earn a minimum of 128 credits, with the last 32 credits completed while enrolled at Carroll.
  2. Degree requirements cannot be waived. For specific degree requirements, see below.
  3. To graduate, students must earn a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average and a minimum 2.0 Carroll University grade point average. In addition, students must earn a “D” or better in all required coursework, including general education requirements.
  4. An Application for Graduation form must be filed with the registrar’s office one year before the expected date of graduation. Forms are available online. After the application is filed, a degree audit is sent to the student indicating remaining requirements to be completed.
  5. Learning to communicate effectively in the form of writing is a cornerstone to all coursework taken in any degree earned at Carroll University. To gain that knowledge all students are required take ENG 170 .
  6. Because mathematical literacy is relevant to both liberal learning and the practical demands of contemporary society, all students must demonstrate a knowledge of and proficiency in mathematics. MAT 106  or higher and 8 credits in a modern language (MLL) other than English is required for all students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree or a Bachelor of Music in Education degree. CMP 112  and CMP 114  is required for all students pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. Students pursuing the Bachelor of Science or the Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy degrees are required to complete CMP 112  plus CMP 113  or CMP 114 . This requirement can also be met by Advanced Placement credit in statistics or calculus.
  7. Each year the academic community gathers to consider contemporary issues and enduring questions, to honor individual and collective achievement, and to celebrate shared vision and values. All full-time undergraduate students must attend two convocation events per academic year. At least one of those events each year must be a campus-wide event including; Opening Convocation, Founder’s Day Convocation, Baccalaureate, Celebrate Carroll, or the Annual Waukesha UNAFF Traveling Film Festival. For department-sponsored convocations, students must attend through the Question and Answer time or they do not get credit for attending that convocation. (Note: students majoring in our Associate Degree in Nursing program are exempt from this requirement.)

Degree Requirements

Bachelor of Arts

  • Students must take 8 credits in a modern language (MML) other than English, this does not include American Sign Language.
    Carroll University will accept a total of 8 transferred credits from another college/university as long as all 8 credits are completed in the same language.
  • MAT 106  or higher
  • ENG 170  

Bachelor of Music

Music Education

  • Students must take 8 credits in a modern language (MML) other than English, this does not include American Sign Language.Carroll University will accept a total of 8 transferred credits from another college/university as long as all 8 credits are completed in the same language.
  • MAT 106  or higher
  • ENG 170  

Music Therapy

Bachelor of Science*

Bachelor of Science in Nursing

Mathematics Placement Policy

What is the ALEKS PPL Placement?

Carroll University requires an ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (ALEKS PPL) Assessment to determine readiness for mathematics courses. ALEKS PPL is a web-based program that uses artificial intelligence to map a student’s strengths and weaknesses. The Placement Assessment is up to 30 questions and generally takes 60-90 minutes to complete. After the Placement Assessment, an individualized Prep and Learning Module is available for students to refresh their knowledge on forgotten topics. Students then have the opportunity to reassess and improve their placement.

ALEKS consists of three parts:

  • An Initial Placement Assessment
  • The Prep and Learning Module, an individualized, self-paced online review
  • Access to 4 additional Placement Assessments

The Carroll University Mathematics Program encourages each student to spend time in the Prep and Learning Module, even if the desired score is achieved, because time spent in ALEKS will ultimately lead to better preparation and improved grades.

What is the purpose of placement testing? The ALEKS PPL Placement Assessment results will be used to determine the most appropriate courses for each student as they move forward with college coursework.

This is a “Placement Assessment,” not a test. The difference is that a Placement Assessment is designed to determine what a student knows and what a student needs to work on. At the end of the ALEKS PPL Assessment, a student will have a much better sense of his/her strengths and weaknesses in math. Students then have a chance to brush on topics that may have been forgotten or haven’t been practiced for some time.

Be honest. It is important that the Placement Assessment is taken seriously and each student gives it an honest effort so that the Placement Assessment truly reflects their current level of knowledge and math preparedness. There is no benefit to cheating on the Placement Assessment - the only result will be that a student enrolls in a class that is too difficult, or not challenging enough, potentially costing time and money. Therefore, while taking the Placement Assessment, students should not consult any outside sources for help (friends/family, internet searches, textbooks, notes etc…). The purpose of the Placement Assessment is to give an accurate measure of a student’s current mathematical knowledge state so that he/she will be successful in mathematics courses.

Carroll University Academic Integrity Policy

We reserve the right to require a student to take a Placement Assessment in a proctored environment.

Who takes the ALEKS PPL Mathematics Placement Assessment?

  • All incoming students
  • All transfer students that have not met Carroll University Mathematics requirement.
  • All students that have a placement score from Carroll University that is more than 2 years old from start of first day of mathematic course.

A student that has completed one or more Advanced Placement courses and exams in mathematics in the past 2 years may submit an petition to the mathematics program when AP scores are available if believe they should be placed higher than indicated by ALEKS PPL Assessment.

Mathematics Placement Scores and Course Placement

Course Number Course Name ALEKS Score
MAT 098   Pre-Algebra 0-29
MAT 101   Intermediate Algebra 30-45
MAT 104   Foundations of Elementary Mathematics I 46 or higher
MAT 106   Mathematics fore the Liberal Arts 46 or higher
CMP 112   Computational Thinking I 46 or higher
MAT 130   Elementary Functions 46-75
MAT 140   Calculus and Its Applications 76-100
MAT 160   Calculus I 76-100


Reapplication Policy for Dismissed and Withdrawn Students


The policy on reapplication defines the process by which students may seek readmission to the program following a withdrawal or dismissal of the student from the program for failing to maintain good academic standing. Readmission candidates may apply for readmission to the program no sooner than one semester after leaving the program and no later than two years from the date of the withdrawal or dismissal. Readmission candidates may exercise their reapplication option only once. Readmission candidates applying to the program must submit the materials required and shall be considered with all new applicants for admission. In addition, they must provide transcripts relating to any education experiences completed since leaving the program. A letter indicating why the readmission candidate believes they will succeed academically and technically in the program must accompany the application materials. Upon review of the materials, the program’s admission selection committee may render the following decisions which are final: 1) Approval of the request for readmission to the beginning of the program, 2) admission to the program with consideration (i.e. repeating specific courses, required ancillary learning activities, credit for prior work, etc.) 3) Denial of the request for readmission to the program. 

Transcripts and Transferring Credits


The Registrar’s Office supplies official transcripts of records of those students who have no outstanding obligations to the university. In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (1974), transcripts cannot be released without the express written consent of the student.

All transcript requests are completed online. To begin your order, click here.

Students may also call 847-716-3005 to place the order over the phone. There is an additional surcharge for placing orders over the phone. As of July 1, 2021, there will be a $10.00 charge for all official transcripts.

For Carroll University purposes only, an unofficial transcript may be ordered free of charge with an Internal Transcript Request Form  .

An unofficial transcript may also be processed free of charge with a signed release from the student for government agencies, such as the police or FBI.

Transfer Credit Policy after Enrollment

Individual departments will evaluate transferred coursework to ensure equivalent content is being learned by the student in the transferred course. Therefore it is necessary to obtain permission in advance from the Carroll University Registrar’s Office in order to have coursework from another institution accepted in transfer. Click here for the Transfer of Credit Approval form. Please note that not all coursework from other institutions are transferable.

If approved through a Transfer of Credit Approval form, a student can take a prerequisite for a course at a different institution. However, the student cannot register for the course that needs this prerequisite until the prerequisite course is completed and official transcripts are sent to and processed by the Carroll University Registrar’s Office.

Approved courses will transfer to Carroll, once an official transcript is submitted to Carroll University. Courses will transfer in per the transcript. Grades and credits are determined by the institution in which the course/s were taken and completed.

Carroll University offers letter grades of A, AB, B, BC, C, D and F upon completion of a Carroll University course. All transfer work grades will be converted into the Carroll University letter grade system. For example: a student transferring in a letter grade of B+ from another institution will receive a grade of B on the Carroll University transcript for that transfer course.

All transfer coursework must be graded C or higher to be accepted as credit earned toward graduation. Transfer coursework with an earned grade of D will only be accepted to meet course requirements.

Course requirements include the PioCore distribution courses, major and minor requirement courses. Courses with an earned grade of D will not earn credit toward graduation.

Students need to earn a total of 128 credits to graduate.

NOTE: Students are required to complete their final 32 hours at Carroll University.

Official transcripts of all coursework from every post-secondary institution attended must be sent immediately following completion of the course to:

Carroll University Registrar’s Office
100 N. East Ave.
Waukesha, WI 53186

Failure to have transcripts sent, even if the course cannot be accepted for credit, may result in the student being dismissed or the degree being rescinded.