We offer a combined major in English and Writing and minors in English, Creative Writing and Professional Writing. See sample four year plan.
The English and Writing major also serves as a valuable and practical double major with any program including the health sciences, social sciences, business, and education. See below our sample four-year plans for English and Writing with Business, Communication, Occupational Therapy, and Psychology.
English and Writing Major Goals:
- To provide students with a body of knowledge about literature and other forms of representation that will allow them to recognize the interrelationship among ideas and provide them with the skills to be lifelong learners.
- To teach students the critical and creative reading, writing and thinking skills that enable them to develop a personal value system and that will inform their understanding of their impact on the world around them.
Learning Outcomes for English and Writing
Students graduating with a degree in English and Writing will be able to
- Develop strategies for originating and answering questions about literature.
- Use language specific to the discourses of poetry, drama, fiction and nonfiction.
- Analyze and respond critically to texts using research and bibliographic materials appropriate to the discipline.
- Demonstrate the ability to synthesize and organize ideas.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a writing process that includes reading, research, drafting, editing, and revising, and be able to analyze that process in their own writing and the writing of others.